Saturday, January 23, 2010

A Little Less Stressed

Today in my Human Development class we watched a film about Romania's orphanages.  It was really disturbing to watch but it showed how horrible conditions are there. The leader of Romania wanted to increase the population so couples that had less than five children are taxed heavily so a lot of them have to give their children up to the orphanages. The orphanages are understaffed and the workers don't have any more than a fourth grade education.  They have no idea how to treat the children.

There are a lot of volunteers that go over to help but still, there aren't enough helpers.  The ones that do go over to help aren't allowed to give the kids too much attention because when they leave they don't want the children to be used to the attention. It is so hard for me to accept that because in this class we just went over how important it is to have human physical contact. There are ten and eleven year olds that look like three year olds. They are fed through a bottle still and rarely leave their crib.

Going to different countries helping in orphanages and such has always been something I wanted to do.  After watching this video it just made me want to do it so much more.  In my Nursing 180 class our next assignment is to look at different places where we can specialize in with our degree.  We get to choose three to research. guess what one of mine will be? Yes, traveling nurse.  I want to know what it is all about. Even if it just for a little or just one trip, I want to do it.

Thinking about his has really put my mind back on track.  I have had many melt downs about college and the stress of getting in somewhere.  But I know I will go where I need to and do what I am supposed to go.  This video just made me realize that I really do want to help people and the education I get is more for them and not me...

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Whitni, check out Haley's blog http://4lakedames.blogspot.com/2010/01/how-to-help-children-in-haiti.html

You have such a kind and humble heart; I know that you are going to touch many, many lives and make them better.

Grappy Dale said...

Stay focused on your nursing. You promised to change my diapers when I'm old and I don't want some slacker doing it.