Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sunburn & Basketball

Friday morning at 11 I headed up to the Marriot Center to mark our spot in line for the BYU vs. New Mexico basketball game.  I was there until Marissa and Kyle showed up around 4:30 and Nick a bit later. I was incredibly bored but it was really nice to get some sun. I even got a sunburn on my nose and some freckles showed up for a bit. Makes me excited for summer!! Not the sunburn part, just getting sun.  All I did was take a nap, study, take another nap, got some pizza from the guys behind us in line, took a longer nap and listened to music. I was ready to talk to people when they all showed up, but all they were planning to do was read. I was so bored by then that I convinced them not to. 


We left to get food but stayed at the Marriot until the morning. It got to freaking cold though! My toes were frozen and my bottom blanket was wet. Marissa got a great night's sleep but the rest of us kept waking up and weren't very comfortable.  


Marissa and I left at about 9:30 to take showers. I had a basketball game at 12 so I was leaving anyway for that.  When I was getting ready Marissa kept texting me telling me to try to get a parent to coach part of the game for me so I would be able to go, gates were going to open at 12:30. Marissa texts me right before my game and tells me the gates already opened and that I may not get in because they might only let a certain amount of students in (like they did for the Utah game).  I asked a mom to do and she was totally fine doing it, she coached the same girls in soccer last Spring.  I booked it out of the school, drove to the Marriot but I didn't want to risk trying to find a spot and there not being one so I just parked on the street then ran up to the Marriot.... all in eight minutes. :) It was really hard to run though because A) I was in converse and B) I have not ran outside forever! I could barely breath! I did get to the gate in time and was able to get in. I scored some all sports passes from some friends so KC and Kyle could get in. 


After the stupid game (the refs sucked) Marissa and I were walking to the car. She kept asking how far away it was. I didn't really realize how far I ran until I paid attention. It was a lot longer of a walk than I thought. 


After that, we went to pick up Nick for the Jazz game. I got three free tickets for being a Jr. Jazz coach so we decided to use them. We took up two of my players, the Hannahs. At the game we got a free hot dog and drink. When we got our drinks I asked for a Diet Coke. One of the girls asked what a Diet Coke is. I said a drink. She then asked, "Does it have caffeine?".. in a very serious voice. I felt like a terrible example and told her that diet didn't... Oops.






At the game they announced that if Jazz gets 6 blocks then everyone gets free tacos from Taco Bell, of course we went!! We didn't really understand what the manager was saying about it when we went in but he ended up giving each of us two free tacos! We only expected one but we were all good with two. 


When we got home I was just expecting to go to bed but a bunch of people in my ward were having a bonfire and Syd was just about to leave ans asked if I wanted to go. I decided I would and it was worth it. It was a lot of fun. We played games, had s'mores and I got the chance to get to know a few more people. But now my room smells like smoke from it. I am trying to air it out but now I am freezing!!


Sherry invited us for dinner tonight. It was delicious. Thanks Sherry!!


After ward prayer tonight we had a little surprise birthday party for a girl, Alex, that lives in my stairwell.  Last night when I was hanging out with her, her roommate, Meighan, was making the cheesecake for the party. We made up the ridiculous excuse that I promised my family I would make them dessert but didn't know how and Meighan was doing it for me. She totally bought it and thought I was a jerk for not helping her make it, not helping with dishes and thought I was stupid for not knowing how to make a dessert. Everyone has been keeping this from her for days and she has been thinking people were just being mean. 



6 comments:

Grappy Dale said...

Glad I read Nick's report to know you stayed in a tent. Great coach, always be up front and honest with the players...Running covers the distance faster than walking? Glad you learned somethun at college.

The Ascanios said...

Haha! Thanks for the tickets Whit, it was a fun night. Where are the pictures of us with the statues?

Lindsea said...

sinner :)
love you anyway.

Grammy Rae said...

Slow down girl! Where do you get the energy to do all this? Love ya.

Aaron said...

LIAR!!!!!!! But it's cool, I tell DeA lots of stuff is calorie free. Like Ben Franklin said "The women are the weaker sex, so it's best not to upset them".

Shannon said...

Whitni, I need a nap just from reading this post! It does sound fun, though. Other than the sleeping outside part. :)
(And I have to admit to totally cracking up at Aaron's comment...)