Thursday, April 8, 2010

Major Change

I had a nursing class for the first block of this semester.  In it, we learned all about nursing, ways to get your RN and all that cool stuff. Our professor told us about accelerated nursing programs [I had never heard of them before]. This is when you get a bachelors in whatever you want then go on to an accelerated nursing program that is year-round for I believe two years. This did not sound like something I wanted to do so I ignored it. Last month I was getting the feeling that I wasn't quite ready to start nursing school in the fall/winter so I started looking at majors that I could possibly change to.

I started to think I would want to switch to Exercise Science, but when I actually looked at the courses I would have to take I was kind of overwhelmed by the amount of science classes.  I have never been the best at them nor really enjoyed them.  So I started thinking about Nutrition and a couple other majors but none of them sounded too thrilling to me.  I finally looked at what I would have to take if I switched to School Health Education.  It involves Advanced First Aid, Chronic Disease and Prevention, Health Promotion... They are all health classes but only a few science classes. Perfect, right? So I called the office and set up an appointment for this morning. After watching an orientation video and waiting for half an hour longer than I was supposed to, I finally got called to talk to an advisor.

She was really excited that I wanted to switch because they need more students in the School Health Education major. Next thing I know, she is handing me a super nice new pen and welcoming me to the School Health Education major. I should graduate in 2012 if all goes well. I will have to take a few spring and summer classes but I was expecting that already.

5 comments:

Lindsea said...

That's awesome Whit. That mean you could coach too if you wanted? :)

Shannon said...

Very cool! Definitely go for something that you actually enjoy doing. I changed my major three times before I graduated, haha.

sherry said...

You will be around in spring and summer sometime. I think I like that :)

Grammy Rae said...

I think I will miss you. If you like it I am with you.

Taylor said...

That's great Whit! You will do great!