Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Me Indecisive? Never...

So... A month or so ago I decided to change my minor.  I have changed it to Nonprofit Management.  I feel like I have already said this... Oh well.

Back at the beginning of the semester hen we were introducing ourselves in relief society, a girl (my visiting teacher) said her major was Therapeutic Recreation.  That sounded exactly like what I have always wanted to do.  I looked it up that night and saw that I had done a few of the classes already and will take some because I am doing pre nursing.  I talked myself out of it and decided that I would just stick with health education.  I realized that I wasn't enjoying my teaching classes and that I really didn't want to teach and thought I wasn't cut out to be at teacher.  But I still told myself to suck it up and just do it.

Last Monday I got a parking ticket.  After I appealed it I was talking to the receptionist.  She asked me what my major was... blah blah blah.  I asked her what her major was and she said therapeutic recreation. Seriously?  She talked to me for about twenty minutes about it and I fell in love with it.  She was also doing pre nursing and she said it worked perfectly.  But if I wanted to change over I should probably do it ASAP.

So, I went home and made a pretty spreadsheet with all the classes I need to take for generals, pre-nursing, my minor and this new major.  And colored coated it. [I just learned how to use Excel and I am pretty much a pro now. ]  I saw that I wouldn't graduate until a semester later but that doesn't bother me now.

I met with my minor adviser yesterday.  He LOVED my spreadsheets :) He asked me what my major is and I told him how I want to switch over and all.  He asked me why.  I told him that ever since I have learned about Hippotherapy (Therapeutic Horseback Riding) I have always wanted to learn more about.  He said that for one of my first classes for my minor I could spend up at Courage Reins [they do hippotherapy there.)  I was so excited.

I meet with my adviser to add Therapeutic Recreation as my major tomorrow morning. Whenever I think about it I get so excited.  I can start seeing small things fall into place and a couple reasons why I didn't make up my mind earlier.

6 comments:

jen said...

There is a place here that does the hippotherapy. One of the Mariners and his wife are very involved with it since having their kid participate. I think it is called 'Little Bits' or 'Tiny Bits'. I'll find out. Good luck, Whit! You will do awesome with it!

Grammy Rae said...

I am SO glad all is falling into place.

Shannon said...

It doesn't sound like you are indecisive... it sounds like you are open to inspiration! Have fun! :)

Grappy Dale said...

Wait, hippotherapy is horseback riding??? Might check on that again, PETA might be upset if you start bustin' into the zoo to saddle up a hippo, or worse get a rhino by mistake. I missed where you say "they won't let me change my major anymore so I guess I'm stuck with this one". Did you do what I asked?

The Ascanios said...

It's pretty common for me to hear, "So I think I'm going to change my major/minor to _______"(fill in the blank with whatever Whitni learned about today) when Whit comes home from class.

Junior Fevanga said...

Welcome to "TR"!! I have made so many TR students and they love it!! You going to LOVE the RMYL Dept. I know you'll LOVE IT!!!