Sunday, September 2, 2012

Banana Cake Recipe

This is for all of you who wanted to know what recipe I used on Junior's birthday cake.  I got the banana bar recipe off Pinterest from this blog: http://www.320sycamoreblog.com/2012/03/banana-bars-winner.html

I have made them before but not like I did this time.

The actual recipe is as follows...


Combine :
1 ½ cups sugar
1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
½ cup butter or margarine, softened
2 eggs.
Add & stir until well mixed:
1 ½ cups mashed very ripe bananas (abt. 2 large)
2 tsp vanilla
Sift together and add to above mixture:
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
Spread batter in greased and floured cookie sheet. Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until light brown.

Cool, frost with glaze:
Melt ¼ cup butter or margarine in glass bowl or on stovetop in a pan.
Whisk in 2 cups powdered sugar
3 Tbs. milk
1 tsp vanilla


NOW, I did not use this glaze for the cake. As I said before, Jun wanted a cream cheese frosting.  I had called Chris and asked him what he thought I should do and he said I can't get store bought because it isn't very good. I wanted this cake to be delicious since I had no idea who or how many people were going to be eating it I went for the homemade. I have never made it before and my mom told me that she doesn't like to make it because sometimes it doesn't turn out. Well, I got enough ingredients to make two batches, just in case the first one didn't work.

So, I made two cookie sheets (double recipe, but I made them at different times) and cut them in half. I stacked all four pieces on top of each other and put a little of the cream cheese frosting between each layer...
·         4 ounces unsalted butter, softened
·         4 ounces cream cheese, softened
·         2 cups powdered sugar
·         1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions
In a large bowl, beat together the butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer. With the mixer on low speed, add the powdered sugar a cup at a time until smooth and creamy. Beat in the vanilla extract
  I got it off of allrecipes or something like that. It is a little thinner than I expected, maybe I didn't put enough sugar? But it seemed to do just fine because people loved it. I topped it with walnuts and enjoyed the delicious taste of my own masterpiece :) 
Bronte told me her taste buds were in love, so it must be good.


2 comments:

Lindsea said...

Sounds delicious Whitni!

Shannon said...

Thanks for posting, Whitni. I have a feeling this is going go be just as popular with the boys as it was with the girlykin :)